Robert A. Deyton Detention Center
The existing detention center located in Lovejoy, GA was previously owned and operated by Clayton County. The detention center was vacated and was sitting empty. GEO, a private prison and detention center operator, purchased the site from the County and began renovations to house federal inmates. The project was completed in two phases: the renovations were complete in December 2007 and the addition was completed in December of 2008.
The project includes the following renovations and components:
• Upgrade of security and life safety components throughout the building.
• Bring the existing construction up to current codes where feasible and work with the fire marshal to determine workable solutions on items that could not be changed.
• Up grade all handicapped accessible toilets in public spaces to meet federal standards.
• Renovations of the female housing unit to provide handicapped cells and shower areas.
• Renovate booking and intake area to upgrade security and provide accommodations for handicapped inmates and staff.
• Renovate and expand office areas and reception desk.
• Kitchen renovations with all new equipment and fire protection systems.
• Medical area renovations required to upgrade flooring, ventilation systems and to provide handicapped accessibility.